Monday, October 04, 2004

Yesterday was pretty crazy, doing various studenty things. At 4.30pm I was at Bristol CU's search for a church event, which involved around 50 students (and me!) crammed into a small room hearing from other students about the churches they are part of.

I've never heard the word "sound" used so many times. It got me thinking how sad it would be if the only words we could think of to describe our communities were that they were "sound." I might be completely off the mark here, but when I read about the New Testament church I don't get the sense that the attraction in their community was the fact that they were doctrinally correct. It seems that what was far more appealing was the fact that they embodied the Kingdom.

I'm not saying that good doctrine is wrong, but when it's the only emphasis in your community it might be time to worry.