Sunday, August 28, 2005

Last night was Zoë's surprise 21st Birthday party, which I think we have did a pretty good job of concealing over the past few months. We were at Journeys on Upper Clifton Street for eating, drinking, toasting, mingling, all to the backdrop of some great breaks and beats (thanks Dan and Ian). It was great chilling out with friends new and old.

Afterwards a group of us ended up at Moloko in the Cafe Quarter for some Funk ("I believe in miracles baby..."), Breakbeat, Foosball, and Flaming Sambucas. I hooked up with some old friends from (primary!) school and early clubbing days, which was real nice. We danced like there was no tomorrow and hypothesised over why girls spend so much time in the toilet (are they actually having some female-only secret party?)

One of the conversations of the evening revolved around how Dan and I first got to know each other. First there was the family connection (I have a vague recollection of Dan and I scaring his cousin with glow in the dark teeth), but that doesn't explain our present day friendship. I think it boils down to some event where I started chatting to him ("you probably don't remember me but ...[insert said glow in the dark teeth story]...") Somehow we ended up DJing together at houseparties (including the infamous one at Angel's place which, as Dan recalled last night "was like something out of a movie").

Happy Birthday Zoë!