Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The last 48 or so hours have been some of the weirdest of my life. I ended up going to Sweden last week (more to follow) and flew back on Monday so that I could be at my Grandpa's funeral, which was yesterday. We knew that time was going to be tight, so hired a car so that we could speed up our journey form Stansted to Cardiff. However on arrival at Stansted I was asked for my driving licence and when I could only present the card section of it was told I couldn't have a car. Their insurance demands that they see a full paper and card driving licence.

This left us with one option - a bus to Paddington Station and then a train to Cardiff. Unfortunately the only train to Cardiff was at 5.45am on Tuesday morning, and this was 11.30pm Monday. So we endured one long night at Paddington and returned to Cardiff with very heavy eyelids.

The funeral was at 2pm, but we were getting together with family late morning so I arrived, ate breakfast, showered, donned my suit, and we made our way to Llanelli.

It was a very sad, but wonderful day celebrating the life of a much loved and godly man. It was amazing meeting people whose lives bore testimony to his pastoral care and insight. One of the things that really stood out was how people described him as a gentle, humble man. In a world of hard-nosed selfish ambition this really stands out.

I'm so tired right now that I'm sure I'm not doing justice to what I'm feeling, or balancing the priority of subject matter very well, but please forgive me.