Monday, March 13, 2006

The style of my last post reminded me of a discovery I made a few years ago while looking through some old school books. I found one of my first ever pieces of written work. It was an answer to the question "what music do you like?" and began something like this...

I like Cliff Richards because his music is fast and sometimes his music is slow.

There were more spelling mistakes, but the thing that caught my attention was the innocence of my musical appreciation. I didn't have many grammatical tools, didn't have a vocabulary with which to express what I heard, and (clearly) didn't have a well developed musical palette. None the less, each new musical discovery had a freshness about it. Whether it was fast or slow, loud or quiet, it was an adventure.

Disclaimer: this quote was written at the age of 4 or 5. The responsibility for my musical listening at that age was not my own and can therefore not be held against me. Pretty please?