Sunday, August 24, 2003

Guys, I'm home, in the fare city of Cardiff. I decided that my time in continental Europe was over and booked a flight while in Ljubljana. I didn't mention this sooner because I wanted to surprise Zoë - it's her birthday next Saturday (30th) and I thought it would surprise her to know that I'd be around. Our prior arrangements would have meant that I would be back on the 3rd of September.

More on Rome
Rome was a real nice city to stay in, an incredible concentration of vast relics from the Roman Empire. Also great Gelatti (ice cream). I had Cappuccino and this one with nuts in...mmmm.

I wandered next to the river, getting lost only a few times and even had a conversation with a local guy - his part in Italian and mine in English. I'm not sure what was said.

Apparently Rome is a Spa town (I don't really know how that works), and this is why there are little water fountains everywhere that people drink from. Now I can't stand spending money on something as basic as water and the only place where I have done so consistently was when we were in Poland and even Darek and Eva were drinking bottled water all the time. So I filled all my bottles from these little fountains. I even had what I dubbed "holy water" from the fountains next to the Vatigan.

On Thursday night I stayed at the lovely 'Gullivers House' - a great hostel where they really make you feel welcomed and at home (they even have video nights and breakfasts).

Friday morning I got up and ready for the long trip to Milan (by train) without Tim. I got on the train and immediately this girl called Melissa got on. She lives near Milan and is studying English - so I had someone to talk to! That was a real blessing. She had her dog (a shitsu) with her whose name is Gandalf.

From Milan train station I travelled to Bergamo, which is a city about 1 hour away. As I got on the Bergamo train I came across these guys from London who were heading to Bergamo Airport and so I had company on that leg of the journey - that was sooo God.

If you're in Cardiff at the mo give me a call!