Tuesday, October 14, 2003

the tongue
On Sunday we looked at 'the tongue', how harmful it can be if used wrongly, but also how much good it can do if used well. I noticed when looking at James 1, it talks of the heart as the first thing to be aware of and then your tongue. The two are so closely intwined. I've felt challenged, particularly when we were talking about the effects of sarcasm and how it's so ingrained in our culture, to really find a God's eye view on the words I speak.

Someone, maybe Willard, speaks of developing 'habits of righteousness.' These 'habits' are things I really want to develop in my own life, that I really up the ante on character change. I can either 'tame the tongue' through sheer effort (which James seems to suggest is impossible), or I can draw close to God (using the 'habits') and allow him to make me the kind of person who naturally speaks uplifting and God-honouring words as the overflow of my changed heart.

I know which I would prefer!