Friday, February 20, 2004

Ok...after the interesting discussion of language it's time for some regular news. The last few weeks have been pretty interesting. God's been speaking to me in many ways - some direct, some indirect. One of the latter was The Last Samuri, which I went to see on Wednesday night.

While it is a film blatantly designed to make Tom Cruise look good and which once again portrays America (or an American) as a saviour of yet another nation, my overall opinion is positive. It's the story of a westernised man falling in love with an ancient lifestyle, a lifestyle of simplicity and discipline. I was struck by the connection that existed between the people and the land in which they live and also the spirit of true adventure.

I'm becoming convinced that our western consumer way of life offers little in the way of true adventure. Reading 'The Way of the Heart' has only helped to make this feeling stronger - while the book is greatly emotive and does not take into account much of the moral philosophy of the last century, there is a great deal of wisdom contained in its pages. To be honest I think that it's nature, as an emotive reflection on the lives of males in the early twenty first century, is effective - far more so than a book on philosophy would be. It is also more widely read!

Yesterday I had a call from my friend Krys, from Krakow, Poland. He's been living in London but this week decided to move to Cardiff! He stayed at ours last night and today I've been helping him find some accommodation.