Monday, July 05, 2004

I've just finished Invisible Monsters, a non-linear escapade from Chuck Palahniuk, author of  Fight Club.  On first glimpse the book is a study of the life of a model after having her face blown off.  Only later do you discover a far more sinister plot with twists that keep you guessing right until the end.  The tale is one of self-destruction with the aim of attaining freedom from the constraints of society.
 
Now for a quote from Brandy Alexander:
"I want out of labels.  I don't want my life crammed into a single word.  A story.  I want to find something else, unknowable, some place that's not on the map.  A real adventure..." (p261)
 
It's a story of decadence and is at times very dark.  This is the first book I've read by Palahniuk and I found his writing style is unique and refreshing.  However I did have concerns that in time it may seem clichéd.