Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Sometimes it's hard being true to yourself. This morning I received an application form and job description from a Christian organisation who are looking for a lobbyist. For a moment I was tempted - a good salary, a variety of political responsibilities and the opportunity to stretch myself.

The problem is that in recent years I've become less and less convinced that the Church's role is to pursuade politicians to formulate policies which force those who aren't followers of Jesus to act as though they are. That just oozes a Christendom mindset, the need to assert power on a political level.

I believe we are called to be a voice for the voiceless and to be actively involved in addressing justice, but I'm not too worried about us 'followers of The Way' getting marginalised in society. We might even rediscover the radical way of life that Jesus calls us to!