Thursday, May 25, 2006

Return of the Mac
Yesterday I got the call that my iBook was ready to be collected. It was the hard disc that needed replacing and when I drove down to pick it up I had no idea if any of my data would have been recoverable. I was relieved to find out that all the work, programs, music and photos that I had saved on there had been rescued! Needless to say, an external hard disc is at the top of my list of future purchases...

Living without it for a while has been a good experience as I've discovered some better ways of working. I've decided that Bloglines, the online news aggregator, is better for managing my RSS feeds than Thunderbird, the email client I had been using. I also found out that Gmail now offers a Notifier for the Mac which sits on your desktop and tells you when you have mail. Gmail is also making me happy with masses of storage, emails arranged in conversations (and fully searchable) and the ability to use other, non-Gmail addresses.

I'm thinking that Google should start an ad campaign based on the Carlsberg ads - "if Google made..."