Monday, December 11, 2006

In summary...
Highlights of the past week and a half.

Crowning of the Lucia, Glögg & Pepparkakor
Christmas festivities have well and truly arrived. It seems like everywhere you go people are drinking glögg (like mulled wine only nicer, and commonly served with raisins, almonds and a spoon) and eating pepparkakor (ginger biscuits). Wednesday is Lucia - my favourite (pseudo) Swedish tradition. Last Sunday I had the pleasure of attending the Crowning of the Lucia, which is kind of like a beauty/personality contest, where someone is chosen to be the Lucia for a particular town (in this case Malmö). The Lucia doesn't have to sing, but usually has to wear candles on her head, which has got to be tricky. I say usually because the Malmö Lucia is wearing plexi-glass this year...

Calaisa
Last Sunday evening Christoffer introduced me to this Swedish equivalent of the Corrs or the Dixie Chicks. They have a great story, which goes something like: went to Nashville; played at a party; were asked to play at someone's brothers' party; agreed; turned out that the 'someone's brother' was the head of Universal Records in Nashville; got signed...

They are a great bunch of musicians and clearly very talented. I wouldn't buy their record, but then the same goes for The Corrs or Dixie Chicks. The Nashville Music Industry has certainly left its mark on them, bringing words like 'pre-packaged' to mind. That said it was really nice to hear them live.

Niklas Hegfalk and Band
On Saturday we witnessed Niklas Hegfalk and Band at Vinylbaren (part of KB). Niklas' songs really grew with the full band, at times drifting from straight-up folk to a kind of thrashy post-rock. It was standing room only in this jammed bar with steamy windows. Click here for photos.

Work work work
This has been my first year of running my own business, and it's been a really interesting adventure. Right now it seems like things are beginning to gain momentum. Check out Looks Can Kill for more...

What does it mean?
There have been some great moments recently where I've been with friends and our conversations have become centered around the questions "what does it really mean to follow Jesus?" I think this is one of those questions that is so healthy to keep asking, especially for those of us who have chosen to make it our life's work.

and beyond...

Home for Christmas
Next Monday, the 18th December I fly home for Christmas. This time round I get to celebrate my birthday (which is on the 19th) with my family, which will be really nice. I'm really looking forward to tasting a 'decent' curry. I'll be back in Malmö on the 4th January.