Thursday, May 03, 2007

I spent most of today asking myself "what is a vote worth?"

It all began when I woke up and realised that:
a) It was voting day, and
b) That I hadn't received my ballot paper.

I was under the mistaken assumption that a ballot paper is required to vote. At some point during the night I had also dreamed that David Cameron (Conservative) had become Prime Minister. After this nightmare I was more eager than ever to vote, and to do justice to the people who have died in order that I might have the opportunity.

The truth is you can't really put a value on a vote. You can argue as much as you like that there's no point voting, because British parties all believe generally the same thing, or that it is a huge, lumbering mechanism that rarely produces something of value, but when deprived of a vote you soon discover the value of being able to vote against someone you don't want in power.