Saturday, May 01, 2004

Kill Bill Marathon
Last night Jon, Jennie, Zoë and I did the Kill Bill Marathon. We watched Part I at our place on DVD and then went into town to see the second installment. It's definitely one long film, rather than two short ones, I think they only sliced it in two to make it more commercially viable.

Anyhow the second part was not a disappointment. There's more of Tarantino's trademark film making: great attention to detail and challenging established norms.

In this instance I love the way he adds everyday dialogue to a genre which is normally free of such things. My favourite example is when Budd is making a cocktail and his mixer is buzzing, making lots of noise, while Elle Driver carries on talking. You miss what she says first of all, but then Budd asks her to repeat, just as you would in every day speech.

That's about as much as I should say without giving too much away, but go see.