Friday, February 14, 2003

Last night was cool. I love the subject of "how does God speak to me" and especially so when there are people of all different experiences. We did the 'object game' (putting objects down in front of us and then asking God to speak to us for other people in the room). I have to admit that I found it hard because I err towards scepticism. I would rather God talk to me in my mind than I would through an object that someone else has chosen for me to be inspired by... At the same time I absolutely believe that God uses our imaginations to teach us things and therefore when he suggested we do the exercise I didn't argue. That last sentence is real ironic because I've often been blown away by God speaking to me through paintings.

Psalm 84
"when they walk through the valley of weeping, it will become a place of refreshing springs, where pools of blessing collect after the rains!". I was reminded of 2 Corinthians 2:14 where it talks of us spreading the Good News like "sweet perfume". This has to have something to do with spiritual formation, with changing from the inside out. I want to carry God's perfume everywhere, to the extent that the atmosphere is different when I'm around. That by our presence the desert becomes fertile, the broken get healed.

I'd better go get ready for our alternative valentines party.