Monday, February 17, 2003

Today I've been reading some Hayek. Talk of Laissez Faire economies and the state taking a less interventionist approach. The question came into my mind: "would the church be more effective in an environment where the government weren't expected to provide everything?" I hear so many people say "the homeless are the state's responsibility..." etc. I can't find a reference for that anywhere in my Bibe'. Do we spend so much time thinking about politics that we fail to take an active role in real life?

I had a hard few days early last week - I was turning questions over and over in my mind and wasn't coming across people to whom I could ask such questions...so I posted this blog and made the resolution that if I start getting like that again I will pray first, remember to ask someone and then leave it with them. You know sometimes I feel daunted arriving on the site of a 'post modern' blog wondering if what I'm going to say will be something that they've discussed long in advance. I guess my initial introduction to the dreaded P word has been through being a 20 year old. Then I chat with 50 year olds who are grappling with it on a far more intellectual level and I worry that I can't help them because I haven't had all the years to read all the books...