Sunday, March 02, 2003

I was introduced to being seriously misunderstood last night as I explained the way our church works. I think the biggest mistake was that I was sat in his church building telling him how we'll be unlikely to get tied to a building at any time in the future - we'd rather free our money up for the poor etc. Anyhow I think he interpretted what I said as an attack on the way he was used to doing things, rather than explaining how exciting it is that we get to do church in a different way.

In fact what I said was more of a reaction to his statement "so you're just starting out...I'm sure you'll grow and be able to afford a building at some point" as he named a number of other events based churches which grew and then bought a building (as any other respectable church would!) I suppose I was just taken aback - I'd read about such misunderstandings, but had never really experienced it.