Sunday, January 14, 2007

Made to Mingle?
After eluding to questions of calling and purpose over passing weeks I thought I might unveil a tiny fragment of what feels like mine...

I think that one of the aspects of my 'calling' is the hosting of parties. This evening Peter, Ellen and I hosted a party at the apartment, which felt like a success. One of my passions in life is bringing together people from different walks of life, introducing them to each other, and seeing the interesting network of relationships that blossoms, along with the cross-pollination of ideas.

A couple of years ago I was at New Wine and I heard Mal Calladine teach this concept - that some people are supposed to be hospitable through the throwing of parties. I like the way it expands the concept of vocation. Living as something of a nomad in recent years (barely staying in one place long enough to decorate my room), I haven't had as many opportunities to throw parties as I would like. Whenever I have, however, I feel elated, kind of like I'm doing something I was made for.