Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Music
For me, Christmas, and the winter season, always brings with it a hankering for the mellower edge of my musical tastes. I was delighted to receive Johnny Cash's final contribution to the musical world, 'American V: A Hundred Highways' and also Sufjan Steven's 'Illinois' this year.

I love the rawness of Mr Cash's final recordings, which he made in collaboration with Rick Rubin, the guy who founded seminal hip-hop label Def Jam. There's a beauty and wisdom in his tired, old voice. I was also moved to read that, in the days leading up to Cash's death, Reuben and He were daily celebrating the Lord's Supper together...

As for Sufjan Stevens, I was delighted to hear that Mark Churchill's ravings were not in vain. Stevens really is a gifted songwriter and musician who seems to grapple with some of the intricate tensions of life with inspiring grace. My favourite track from this album is Casimir Pulaski Day, the lyrics of which you can read here.

Finally, while I've been aware of his existence for some time now, I've really only just began to appreciate Ray LaMontagne. He played at Jools' Holland's annual Hootenanny, and his voice was as rich as any recording I had heard. He also has an amazing beard.